In 2013 The Binky Foundation continued to focus on its smaller First Steps grants (up to $2500). This emphasis on smaller grants enabled us to provide meaningful long-term benefits to many more organizations, and our grantees in turn continue to remind us that the smallest efforts properly focused can become the seeds from which substantial efforts grow. So it is with great pride that we acknowledge each of our 2013 grant recipients (Our criteria and information on our application windows for 2014 can be found on our Grant Program page).
First Step Grants
During 2013, First Steps grants were awarded to 30 organizations and 2 individuals in a record 18 states. These grants largely reflect our mission and criteria as described on our Grant Program page:
- All About Animals Rescue, Inc. (AZ), for the purchase of equipment for its foster dog program.
- Angels of Estill County Animal Shelter (KY), to help fund the establishment of a vaccination program for the county animal shelter.
- Animal Friends of Balbour County (WV), for the construction of a free roaming kitten room for its facility.
- Central Coast Humane Society (OR), for the purchase of animal educational materials for the K-6 classrooms of the local schools.
- Every Cat Counts TNR and Rescue (SC), for the purchase and installation of cat-proof fencing.
- Green Acres Farm Sanctuary (OR), to help fund the construction of isolation pens with secure shelter.
- HALO Animal Rescue (AZ), to help fund the purchase of IV pumps for its facility.
- Hardin County Pit Bull Rescue (TX), to help fund the purchase of a climate controlled modular building for its Last Resort Sanctuary Program.
- Harley’s Hope Foundation (CO), for videotaping and distribution of its Hope Series of educational programs.
- House With a Heart Senior Pet Sanctuary, Inc. (MD), to help fund the construction of an exterior shelter for emergency evacuation of its animals.
- Jeff Mosher/Sakinah Farm (KY), to help fund the formation and organization of an equine rescue facility.
- Kansas City Pet Project (MO), for the purchase of a surgery light for its animal clinic.
- KittyMOMS Rescue Organization (MT), to help fund the purchase of an incubator and supplies for its orphan kittens facility.
- Laughing Pony Rescue, Inc. (CA), for the purchase of a new computer system for its facility.
- Linn County Animal Rescue (OR), to fund the purchase of panels for its horse exercise arena.
- Little Shelter Animal Rescue and Adoption Center (NY), to fund improvements to its cattery.
- Luv-n-Bunns Rabbit Rescue (PA), to help support a sustainable base for its spay-neuter program.
- Meigs County Humane Society (OH), for the purchase of a humane animal capture system for the county facility.
- Middle Way House (IN), to help fund the purchase of equipment, including educational materials, for its PAWSS Program (Providing Animals and Women with Safe Shelter).
- Pony Tales Farm (OH), for expansion and improvements to its riding trails and Corral.
- Red Door Animal Shelter (IL), to support the expansion of its rabbit care seminars to a larger facility.
- Richardson Rescue (SC), to help fund upgrades and improvements to its kennels.
- Ruth Osterlind/Team TNR (AZ), for the purchase of humane traps for a new trap, neuter and release program for the community.
- Peace Ridge Sanctuary (ME), to help fund the construction of a new bunny barn.
- Pets in Need Action League (AZ), for the purchase of equipment and supplies for its “Never Surrender” Pet Retention Program.
- San Antonio Pets Alive! (TX), for the purchase of microchip processors and chips for its shelters.
- Saving Animals for Everyone (SAFE) Sanctuary (FL), to fund the replacement of the roof on its multi-use building.
- The Rabbit Haven (CA), to fund computer system upgrades for its education and adoption programs.
- United Pegasus Foundation (CA), to help purchase water tanks and a pressure washer for its facility.
- Volunteers for Wildlife, Inc. (NY), for the purchase of equipment for a wildlife nursery.
- Wags and Whiskers Rescue (CA), to fund expansion and improvements to its Whisker Way cat habitat.
- Wild For Life Foundation (CA), for the purchase of equipment for the Lifetime Equine Refuge’s Rescue Horse Rehabilitation Project.
Forward Steps Grants
Although The Binky Foundation is focused primarily on its First Steps grant program, it also provided support in 2013 for a few larger Forward Steps programs (between $2500 and $5000) that our grant committee determined would provide long-term, valuable benefits for animals or habitat, including:
- Hurricane Pets Rescue, Inc. (FL), for the purchase of a large capacity washer and dryer.
- Tucson Wildlife Center, Inc. (AZ), for the purchase of an ultra-sound machine for use in its clinic.
- WildCat Haven (OR), for the purchase of an x-ray film processor for its wildlife clinic.
The Binky Foundation also continues to provide ongoing support for a couple of “old friends”—organizations that provide significant and important services to animals—domestic and wild—and their habitat, including grants to:
- Unexpected Wildlife Refuge, a small refuge in Southern New Jersey providing a haven for beavers, other indigenous wildlife and migratory birds, protecting them from encroachments of farmers, hunters and civilized development.
- The Raptor Trust, an organization in Central New Jersey providing for the rehabilitation and re-entry in to the wild of injured or orphaned raptors and other birds, most of which are harmed by their proximity to the New York metropolis.